Monday, May 05, 2008

The Bicycle Trip: Part 2

[The Journey]
So we started. Started on a journey which I was not very sure of. Started of from Jayanagar Bangalore to Nandi Hills. At 1:30 am in the morning I was able to see a Bangalore which is hard to imagine at any other time. Bangalore was quiet, peaceful and there were not many people/vehicle on the road who were in a hurry. As a friend of mine use to say one can really enjoy the night and concentrate more, as there are not many noises to distract us. Same was the experience which I was getting except the silence of the night was getting breached by the constant rhythm of our peddling. Initially it was easy. The effort which was required to pedal was more so driven by initial thrust of the excitement of adventurism.

[The Agony]
Sooner or later one had to face the truth. Sooner or later the euphoria had to die down and reality had to sink in. After about an hour of biking the desire to take a break and rest became too strong to avoid. The biggest source of discomfort was my ass to the point I was not able to sit without feeling pain. Then we (mostly because of me) committed a mistake which had its bearing on rest of our journey. We stopped to relax and it is sinful to stop as your body cools down and to resume with same vigour becomes a difficult task. With herculean efforts I picked myself up but the fate of the journey had been decided in the very first stop itself. The stops became more and more frequent topped by the ever increasing pain in the ass. Amidst all these we were still enjoying the ride of ours. There is a different way of looking at the ever increasing stops in number and length is that we were able to savour our journey more and more :)
[The Risk]
One of the factor which heightens risk on a bike trip is that one has to bike on a highway. A place where mostly heavy motor vehicles are the only one plying . Another factor which a person should always consider is the light factor. One should ensure one has some form of headlight and even more important are the tail light. And we did not have any. Another thing which had doubled our required efforts was that one of the bike (mine) was gear less. The roads are generally undulated. However good and smooth they may be on a bike one can feel even a degree of uphill. Unfortunately the way from Bangalore to Nandi Hills has plenty of such uphill stretches which I had never realized on motor-bike trips before. But all these factors were not bogging us down. But it always is good to play safe and have a gear bike for any trip one plans. This trip being a first experience of that kind taught us lot. We have now become wiser for next trip if any :)
[Devanahalli]
Ask any Bangalorean who flies, they dread the name of this place. A place far far away from the city. A destination which any not so super human would find difficult to reach given the ever crumbling infrastructure of Bangalore. A place where the new Bangalore airport is go to be. This was the place where I finally gave up. In many ways or other sitting there and waiting for the sun to come up for the journey back home was very symbolic. The promise, the enthusiasm, the novelty of doing something new and different like the new airport. The final give up symbolizing the short sightedness of the plan. Well !! was my mind occupied by these thought at that point of time.Actually not, rather I was feeling ecstatic that I have been able to make it so far. At least there was some distance covered by us which I could proudly talk about. The new airport after all is not so near. :)
[Return Journey]
With all our (rather mine) energy gone . We decided to get a ride back home. But the problem was the equipment (i.e. the two bikes) which we were carrying. Somehow we managed to get a tempo which took us 15 km nearer to home. Unfortunately after that, in spite of our best efforts we were unable to get any vehicle of any sort. So we decided ride back home. A decision which was very difficult but we had no choice. I would say the ride back was better in one way that our body remained warm because of the sun. The other side of the story is that we were like zombie aiming only to reach home somehow as our asses had gone too sore. With multiple breaks in between we managed somehow to reach home with my friend and myself splitting up for the last 6-7 km to ride back to our own homes. The whole of the return bike trip was overwhelmed by a single thought which was to get home boosting our self up by telling ourselves a km less mate with each passing km. :)
[Aftermath]
Back home there was not much to do but to sleep. But everything has a catch and this action of mine which I wanted, needed to do was more at the mercy of the electricity board. Nevertheless when the board showed grace I slept to the fullest. The new thing about this sleep was that it was dreamless and peaceful. I slept to, and with contentment. One more thing which gained significance after the trip was that I hogged like anything. The amount I ate and desired to eat could easily have fed 5-6 full grown human being. I gave myself the reason for my new found hunger as an increase in metabolic rate of mine. Hopefully I am right. I am too lazy to verify :). Looking I have only one thing to say it was a trip to remember and cherish and I hope in some more crazy moments of mine I would undertake many more such trips. :)

2 comments:

Atish said...

nice post dude.. but ye kuch jyada nahi tha ? :D ....
"The promise, the enthusiasm, the novelty of doing something new and different like the new airport. The final give up symbolizing the short sightedness of the plan"

i mean wtf!!

Rohan Rai said...

More of a flow writer I am..It depends upon the mood man ;). I dont try to rectify, restructure or change what has been written :) Nevertheless ,was just trying to relate our end point with the BIAL :)