Thursday, September 11, 2008

Old Skool, Pre Historic Skool or No Skool

Money, Recognition, Promotion a part and parcel of professional life. Whoooaaahhh I know I have made half of the readers nervous and half of you excited with anticipation. To the former I say well a taboo topic should get you edgy whereas to the later I apologize cause this post is going to be as boring as any other post of mine.

There was a discussion I had with one of my friends recently. The discussion was more so on the line over the seduction of higher pay package and disgruntlement an employee towards his/her employer. More so on the line when an employee is working his/her ass off to do various things in his/her work and the package does not correspond to current industry standards. Shouldn't him/her think about switching. Shouldn't he/her be disappointed with people putting lesser working time and getting equal or better packages. What is right thought process. What is the wrong thought process then. Is he/she wrong in thinking that he/she is worth more the value. More so is he/she wrong in thinking that his/her employer is being unfair in renumeration and recognition and question his/her treatment.

But as the way I am I had to have some crazy thought up my sleeves.There was a story which I had in mind and I reproduced in that discussion. The story goes like this."There was owner of a vineyard who needed people to work on his fields. He hired a few people in his vineyard on X amount of money daily. So there were workers in his vineyard toiling hard since morning in his fields. Some other needy workers also came to him to requested him for some kind of job. He being kind hearted also gave these new workers work and they started to work only after the afternoon. When the sun went down and time of payment came. He gave all his workers the same amount of money irrespective of the time they joined. This action of his resulted in resentment among the workers who worked very very hard for the whole day and got the same pay as the one who had worked only for a few and questioned their masters wisdom. To this the master replied that "Why do they question his wisdom. Haven't they been given what had been decided upon. If the goodness inside of me allows me to give from my own wealth the same to the ones who worked less then why should anyone grumble. What is yours will be yours but if I being the owner decide to give anything to other should not be a matter of jealousy for you. Its I who give""

Hmmmmmm...gulp gulp....I know a hard story to relate to....Or even digest...But within the small professional life, I have realized that its futile comparing and seeking what others are getting...How many times we may have done great job in our work but not received the same amount of recognition...How many times we may start believing that our work is niched and creative and thus deserves more credit...How many times we may think that working earnestly is not worth it at all...
To all these doubts I have only a thing to say. Is it not true that whatever position we are in we should do it to the best of our abilities irrespective of the working style of people around, irrespective of praising methodology of ones employer. Shouldn't doing the work in the BEST possible way be our aim always, irrespective of number of hours we may have to toil. I think not that grudgingly working is the right way, but earnestness is of utmost importance, its another thing that tomorrow we may go to some other place for the right reason but not grudgingly but willingly and happily that the time spend was worth it, after all. HAHAHAH as the title suggest this thought process does not belong to any school :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

man must say yur way of putting acrss your point is just going better n better....last line is mast;-)

Rohan Rai said...

Thank U Hebbal Lake

Well I think its not so innovative but more so bland...but what the heck...if u like it and I m able 2 put across something howsoever crappy be my style then I m happy :).