Friday, July 11, 2008

The Wreck : Rabindranath Tagore



I avoid picking up great writers. Avoid picking up writers of critical acclaim. I read quite often though not of late. But still I do believe I do have a good appetite for books (or I use to have).

There is a reason behind not picking up writers of such calibre.

The reason is simple. I do not understand them. I am unable to see the beauty which many a million people might have been able to see. Firstly its by default their novels, books, stories will be written in a language unknown to me. The language may be english, still I am unable to make out as their vocabulary is way.... way complex to my liking. Adding to it I don't like referring to dictionary 5 times in a single sentence. Secondly the level of abstraction is too much. Its always, the words written means something else, altogether !!. Above all even if I manage to make myself read such a novel I am left with more of an empty feeling than experiencing the joy associated with the concept of reading.

Nevertheless I thought of giving such reading a shot.

Picked up the novel named "The Wreck" by Rabindranath Tagore . A well known, loved and acclaimed Indian writer. Thought of reading this book and get myself the bragging rights of having read his novel.

Truly speaking it was a big mistake.

Reading this novel bought me back the horrors of reading one Mills and Boon novel I had read long time back. It was simply not meant for me. I do not know why Mills and Boons is very popular among girls and probably will never be able to find out. The similar frustrating feeling came after this novel and I gave up half way. Easy read. Easy flow. But ...but...simply not meant for me or to be sexist...not meant for guys.

This novel was suppose to show the rift between the reformist and progressive Brahamosamaj and traditional conservatism of Hinduism. This is what the back cover of the book says. But I never was able to see it. May be my reading thought process is not so well developed to appreciate and see such things.

So my take would be pick up this novel at your risk. Better if you are a Tagore fan overlook any of my blabbering. On the other hand this novel is suppose to be second best to Gitanjali by the same author.

Told Ya' I am unable to see what millions of others might have been able to see

2 comments:

Big Foot said...

anyone who reads, reads anything, should read Shantaram by G. D. Roberts ...

Rohan Rai said...

yeah I have it, but the thickness is stalling me for now. One day I will start definitely